FM/CFS/ME RESOURCES Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterFM/CFS/ME RESOURCESLog in

Pacing Yourself

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Misty Roberts
Admin
Admin
Misty Roberts

Pacing Yourself Empty
PostSubject: Pacing Yourself   Pacing Yourself Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:01 pm

Pacing Yourself

Split tasks into small manageable chunks and do a bit at a time. Think about how each activity might be done in a more energy efficient way; for example many things such as ironing and brushing your teeth can be done sitting rather than standing.

Decide which jobs actually need to be done and do any vital things first in case you run out of steam. Try to leave more than enough time and energy to complete each task. Hunting for scissors or keys wastes valuable energy, so have special places for these items and try to keep organized. I keep a small dish on the table by my garage door where I leave my keys.

Use equipment that will save your energy, such as a wheelchair. Use other people's energy and try not to feel shy about asking for help. If finance permits, hire people to do domestic jobs. You can be selective, for example hire someone to dig the garden but you may be able to do some of the lighter work, such as putting out bedding plants.

Alternate activity and rest. You may well find that you can do more of if you do an activity in short bursts. If it's hard to make yourself stop, try using a countdown timer or alarm clock. This will remind you to rest and may help you to avoid doing too much. Alternate different types of activity, particularly physical and mental tasks, so as not to overuse your brain, legs, arms, etc.

Many people find it helpful to keep a diary of their activities. Use it to learn about your individual illness, how much you are able to do, and what things make your FM and/or CFS/ME worse. Listen to your body and respect what it is trying to tell you. Never be afraid to decline an invitation or visitor or to refuse a request if you are not feeling well enough. Try to be flexible and change plans according to how well you are. Plan big events carefully, preparing things in advance so that you can manage your illness as well as possible. Sometimes it is worth feeling really ill as a result of doing too much, in order to do something special. It is up to you (and nobody else) to decide whether a certain activity is worth the recovery period. Learn to be assertive about your needs. It is easier for those around you if you recognize and respond when you need a rest.

Energy can be thought of as being a bit like money; it is possible to go into "energy debt" but you will have to pay it back with interest and will feel really ill. Sometimes this will be unavoidable, but it is a good idea to live within your "energy budget" most of the time. Continually spending more energy than is available is a common cause of FM and CFS/ME relapses. Steadily increasing activity regardless of symptoms can cause long-term deterioration.

When trying out a new activity, start by doing it for a short time that you know you can manage. If it is OK, experiment with doing it for a bit longer next time, cautiously testing your limits. Be realistic about your limitations and don't over-estimate what you can do. It is sometimes recommended that people with FM and/or CFS/ME should do only about 80% of what they think they can do. This leaves a bit of leeway for unpredictability and may actually give the body a better chance of improving. Although pacing is very important for living with FM and/or CFS/ME, no one paces well all the time - don't be too hard on yourself when you don't manage it as well as you had hoped.
Back to top Go down
http://fmcfsme.com

Pacing Yourself
Page 1 of 1