FM/CFS/ME RESOURCES Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterFM/CFS/ME RESOURCESLog in

Great Gadgets To Get You Through The Day!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Misty Roberts
Admin
Admin
Misty Roberts

Great Gadgets To Get You Through The Day! Empty
PostSubject: Great Gadgets To Get You Through The Day!   Great Gadgets To Get You Through The Day! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:45 pm

People like us, with a chronic pain condition, need all the help we can get to make it through the day. The following items are things that have helped me over the years to make life just a little easier with Fibromyalgia (FM) and CFS/ME.

Crock-Pot

Standing is one of the hardest things on my FM and CFS/ME. I've found that using a crock-pot makes my life so much easier. All you have to do is throw your ingredients in the crock-pot and turn it on. Just give the pot an occasional stir and that's all there is to it. This not only makes cooking a meal so much easier, but it tastes great too!

Hand-Held Shower

Another way to relieve the pain of standing is the use of a hand-held shower. This lets you shower sitting down which can be a godsend when you're short on either energy or balance! They're also great for bathing pets too.

Bath Boards

Bath boards affix on the top of the bathtub across its width to provide a sitting surface level with the rim. They are usually used with a hand-held shower attachment so care needs to be taken that users do not scald themselves if there is no supply of water at a constant temperature. Care also needs to be taken in an unheated bathroom that the user does not become too cold. Bath boards are a great place to prop a book while you soak, or just a handy place to keep your shampoo and body soap.

Kitchen Timer

Kitchen timers are great for helping you to remembering things. Get one that is small enough for you to carry in a pocket, or purse. Another thing I do is to write a note saying what I'm timing and stick it to the timer. You can time all sorts of things.

Cordless Phone

I often wonder how I ever managed before the invention of cordless phones or cell phones. I have a phone that is small enough to carry in my pocket. Then when I get into a comfortable position and the phone rings, it's no big deal to answer it!

Electric Toothbrush

Having an electric toothbrush makes it about a hundred times easier to brush your teeth! Instead of a million back and forward motions you just have to move it around to touch every surface.

Another use I've found for the electric toothbrush is for cleaning the grout in your shower or tub area. Of course you want to make sure you wait until the brush is no longer effective for your teeth before using it to clean the grout in your tub or shower! (lol)

Sports Bottles

Yes, I know sports are the last thing on your mind, but did you realize that a sports bottle will let you drink without sitting up? For those of us bedridden some or all of the time, this can be another thing to help save a little bit of energy.

Pill Box

I've found that a pill box with sections for each day of the week and each time of the day you need to take pills can be invaluable. These are especially useful if you suffer from brain-fog and sometimes can't remember if you've taken your pills. I have one with a built-in timer. This reminds me to get my pills on time without forgetting.

Can & Bottle Openers

Electric can openers are a lifesaver in the kitchen. It's another one of those items I wonder how I ever lived without. I especially miss them during hurricane season when we have no power for days or weeks on end.

For opening bottle and jars, I've found those rubber shelf liners to be indispensable. You know the type, they're made of a sticky mesh-type fabric. Not only are they good for lining shelves, they're terrific for opening any type of bottle or jar effortlessly. To make them easier to use I cut them into little rounds or squares.

Reachers

There are many different variations of reachers and pick-up sticks. Some tools come with a trigger-like grip, while other tools come with clamping jaws which can be used to grip items. They're handy for many purposes: reaching things off of store shelves, picking up clothing or toys from the floor, grabbing the newspaper on the driveway. Anything that requires you to bend or stretch can be made easier by having one of these tools.

Electric Wheelchairs

Many of us have limited strength in our arms and torsos making it difficult to use manual wheelchairs. That's when electric wheelchairs, power chairs and electric carts become life savers. They enable you to retain your independence by getting you out of the house effortlessly.

With your doctor's approval, U. S. Medicare should cover 80% of your wheelchair cost. Your supplemental or secondary insurance often pays any remaining amount that Medicare did not cover. If Medicare is your secondary insurance carrier, you must first file a claim with your primary insurance carrier, wait until you are reimbursed by them, and then file with Medicare with any remaining balance.

Walkers

There are many types of walkers on the market today. There are the four legged standard ones made out of aluminum, the four legged rolling ones with seats, and the three legged walkers.

I have found the four legged rolling ones with seats to be the most effective. They most always come with a handy little storage area to put your hot or cold packs in or your purse, etc. The seat enables you to sit when you've run out of energy. You'll never again have to wonder where to sit and rest up.

In most cases U. S. Medicare will cover most of the cost of a walker with your doctor's prescription. Your supplemental or secondary insurance often pays any remaining amount that Medicare did not cover.
Back to top Go down
http://fmcfsme.com

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
FM/CFS/ME RESOURCES Forum ::       FM & CFS/ME Information :: COPING TIPS & TRICKS-
Jump to: