FM/CFS/ME RESOURCES Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterFM/CFS/ME RESOURCESLog in

Managing Your Weight on Antidepressants

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Misty Roberts
Admin
Admin
Misty Roberts

Managing Your Weight on Antidepressants Empty
PostSubject: Managing Your Weight on Antidepressants   Managing Your Weight on Antidepressants Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:59 pm

Many people with FM and/or CFS/ME are given antidepressants, mood stabilizers, and antipsychotics to treat their symptoms. What they don't tell you is that these medications increase weight by stimulating the appetite or slowing the body's metabolism, and that weight gain can range from minimal (a few pounds) to significant (up to 50 pounds).

If dealing with the unbearable pain and unending fatigue wasn't bad enough, now you have added weight gain to deal with. Such rapid weight gain may increase the risk of many health conditions associated with being overweight such as:

• high blood pressure

• diabetes

• heart disease

• arthritis

• some types of cancer

Be aware of the potential for weight gain and follow these strategies to head off extra pounds:

Weight Loss Strategy 1:

Weigh yourself weekly and keep a diary of your weight so you can notice small increases quickly and take steps to counter further gains. Also keep a food diary for an accurate gauge of how much you're really eating on a daily basis.

Weight Loss Strategy 2:

Avoid or limit high-calorie, high-fat foods.

Weight Loss Strategy 3:

Eat smaller portions - and smaller meals and snacks overall.

Weight Loss Strategy 4:

Don't keep large quantities of junk foods in your home. If you need to snack, choose healthy foods such as fresh fruit or vegetables or unbuttered popcorn.

Weight Loss Strategy 5:

Eat slowly. Many people eat too quickly - the brain needs about 20 minutes to recognize that the stomach is full , so if you eat too fast, you'll be apt to consume more calories than you need to satisfy your hunger.

Weight Loss Strategy 6:

Don't skip meals. Going for long periods of time without food only serves to make you hungrier in the long term and more likely to overeat once you do eat.

Weight Loss Strategy 7:

Exercise every day to counteract any extra calories you're consuming and give a boost to your metabolism. Try aerobic exercise such as walking or swimming in a pool. Even light stretching helps to burn off calories.

Weight Loss Strategy 8:

Drink frequently. Hunger is one of the symptoms of dehydration, so quench your thirst with calorie-free beverages such as water, seltzer, diet soda, and decaffeinated coffee and tea.

Weight Loss Strategy 9:

If all else fails, talk to your healthcare provider about switching to a medication that is less likely to cause weight gain or adding another one that might help avoid weight gain. NEVER stop taking your medication without discussing it with your doctor!

Personal Note

I've been taking antidepressants for 21 years. In that time I've gained well over a 100 lbs. For the last six month I've begun to follow the strategies outlined above. I'm happy to announce I've been able to lose 55 lbs, and I'm well on my way to my goal of losing 100 lbs. Trust me, if I can do this, being fully disabled with FM and CFS/ME, it might work for you too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Source:

* Depression & Anxiety: 9 Tips To Avoid Antidepressant Weight Gain. Depression and Anxiety Bulletin. Johns Hopkins Health Alert.
Back to top Go down
http://fmcfsme.com

Page 1 of 1