FM/CFS/ME RESOURCES Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterFM/CFS/ME RESOURCESLog in

Showering or Bathing

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Misty Roberts
Admin
Admin
Misty Roberts

Showering or Bathing Empty
PostSubject: Showering or Bathing   Showering or Bathing Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:31 pm

Showering or Bathing

Showering is a major task for those of us with a chronic illness. It ranks right up there on the energy scale with home renovation, plowing the field, and laying carpeting. Ok, so it only seems that bad. Smile

We all know that staying clean and presentable costs us much more in pain and fatigue than our healthy counterparts. It's been years since I've been able to take a relaxing soak in the tub, mainly because I can't get in and out of the tub without help. Somehow I don't see my 85 old Mother hoisting me out of the tub. So that leaves me with the shower.

You may not think you are "disabled" enough to warrant using a shower chair. However, even if you're able to walk fine and can stand unaided, a shower chair will lengthen your endurance for a relaxed, comfortable shower. Shower chairs can be large or small, and can be bought sturdy enough to hold up to at least 450 pounds.

They can be purchased through those health product catalogs we all get in the mail, like Dr. Leonard's catalog, or they can be purchased at your nearby living aids store. I recommend checking out yard sales, flea markets, or Good Will stores first to see if you can get one cheaper. The average retail price for basic shower chairs is around $40.00.

Another energy saving idea is a dual shower head that includes a hand-held shower. This way you can stand under the shower spray for all-over rinsing, train the spray on a particular set of muscles that ache, or you can hold the spray while seated and direct it where you need it. These basic dual heads range in cost from $20-30, and are available at your local home improvement or Wal-Mart store.
Back to top Go down
http://fmcfsme.com

Showering or Bathing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
FM/CFS/ME RESOURCES Forum ::       FM & CFS/ME Information :: COPING TIPS & TRICKS-
Jump to: