FM/CFS/ME RESOURCES Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterFM/CFS/ME RESOURCESLog in

Traveling Tips

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Misty Roberts
Admin
Admin
Misty Roberts

Traveling Tips Empty
PostSubject: Traveling Tips   Traveling Tips Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:40 pm

Traveling Tips

Traveling when you're disabled with a chronic illness is challenging at best. Here are a few tips to make your vacation more relaxed.

Medications -
Put your med's in a zip-lock bag. I find it's easier if I separate my daytime med's and night time med's into different bags. Label them accordingly, this way they'll be right at your fingertips when you need them.

If you take anything that is absolutely essential; such as heart medication, insulin, etc., bring extra prescriptions in case your medication is stolen, lost, etc. If you require anything that might be suspicious to security, such as needles, have a note from your doctor stating the necessity of these items.

Shampoos, Soaps, Lotions -
Buy travel size items before you leave home or purchase them after you arrive. Many hotels now provide shampoos, conditioners and soaps, along with blow dryers. If your health condition requires special products, buy small plastic bottles and pour your items into them. Remember to put all liquids in zip-lock bags so they won't explode in your carry-on and make a mess.

Thermal Patches -
Thermal patches weigh less and are more convenient than pain-relieving gels or creams, plus they smell a lot better too. Be sure to have a supply of these on hand for those long plane or car trips.

Packing -
The less you have to fuss over your clothes, the better. Leave items that wrinkle easily at home. Many hotels now have irons in the room, but do you really want to be ironing on vacation? Make sure you leave some empty space in your suitcase for shopping and souvenirs. When I travel, I pack a small duffel bag in my suitcase. Then when I come home I have a bag all ready for my souvenirs, etc.

On An Airplane -
Most airlines allow early seating for people with children or people who need more time boarding. If you're disabled with a chronic illness this is an ideal time for you to board the plane.

Seating -

• Do not sit in an exit row unless you are physically capable of opening the emergency door and assisting other passengers. If you're inadvertently seated in an exit row, ask to change your seat before the plane takes off.

• Be sure to ask for a window seat when booking your flight. This will allow you to keep your seat while in flight. There's nothing more tiring and painful than getting up and down to let people in and out of their seats.

• If you require carry-on luggage, put it under the seat in front of you. If you have someone with you, have them store it in the over-head compartment for you. Don't try to lift anything over your head without help.

Snacks -

• If you're a diabetic be sure to bring your own snack. Here are some ideas for diabetic snacks:

• orange and grapefruit segments

• raisins

• granola bar

• popcorn

• If you require gluten-free meals bring your own food. Here are some ideas for hassle-free, gluten-free travel foods:

• organic jerky

• small bags of baking nuts

• plain corn chips

• baby carrots

• apples

• canned peaches or pineapple with pull-top lids

• small cans of tuna with pull-top lids.

Hotels and Motels -
Request rooms on ground floors or near elevators so you don't have to haul suitcases up stairs. Don't forget to request a non-smoking room if you are allergic or sensitive to smoke and odors.

You might consider staying someplace with a pool, hot tub and/or exercise facility. These come in handy if you've been sitting in planes or cars all day and need to rid yourself of stiffness and soreness.
Back to top Go down
http://fmcfsme.com

Traveling Tips
Page 1 of 1