FM/CFS/ME RESOURCES Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterFM/CFS/ME RESOURCESLog in

Doctor Tips

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Misty Roberts
Admin
Admin
Misty Roberts

Doctor Tips Empty
PostSubject: Doctor Tips   Doctor Tips Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:45 pm

Doctor Tips

All practitioners have their own style, their own set of expertise, and their own limitations. The more informed you are, the better choice you're likely to make in choosing a health care provider. If you're unhappy with your health care provider you need to tell them. Then make the changes necessary to ensure that you'll be satisfied.

Preparation

Be prepared for your visit with a list of your symptoms and medications. Many patients find that keeping a symptom diary helps them talk to their doctors better. Ask questions and answer questions fully. Be prepared so you can make the most of your meeting with your health care provider, you will likely have limited time.

Write down your thoughts before you go. List all symptoms you experience on a regular basis. Describe the symptom clearly but try to keep it as brief as possible. Note when the symptom began, how frequently it occurs, and how it affects your life.

Interview Questions

Schedule a no-cost interview with each provider who interests you. Make it clear to the receptionist or nurse scheduling appointments that this is not a medical exam, just an interview. At your interview, provide a short list of your medical problems or symptoms. Be brief. Keep the interview to 10 or 15 minutes.

Write down all of your questions in order of importance. Don't depend on your memory. Interviewing a doctor can be stressful and you're likely to forget something if you haven't written it down. By asking the most important questions first, you ensure those questions will be answered even if the appointment has to be cut short due to time constraints.

Suggested Questions:

• How often do you treat patients with my type of illness?

• What are your special qualifications to treat my illness?

• Have you participated in any special training for pain management?

• How will you manage my pain condition?

• What types of medications do you usually prescribe?

• What types of non-medication therapies do you use?

• Where do you refer patients who need additional treatment?

• Is your clinic listed with any professional societies?

• Are you, or is someone in the clinic, available 24 hours a day?

• What should I expect from treatment with you and/or your team?

• What do you expect from me?

• Will your services be covered by my insurance?

• Do you accept what Medicare pays?

• How much do your services cost?

• How can I make arrangements with you to pay for these services?

Reminder:
While many doctors will accept what medicare pays for their services, there are many who don't. Be sure to know this in advance, as you may need to come up with more money for your visit.

After The Interview

After the interview, jot down your impressions. Did this person believe in Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? Were your questions answered? Is this a person you feel comfortable with? Did this person listen intently to you, or were they distracted?

Trust your gut instinct. Finding the right person to treat your FM and/or CFS/ME is important. Don't give up. Even if you've had bad experiences in the past, things are improving in FM and CFS/ME treatment. There's a medical professional out there who is just right for you.

For more doctor tips, please visit Doctor Tips at FM/CFS/ME RESOURCES

Back to top Go down
http://fmcfsme.com

Doctor Tips
Page 1 of 1